Swimming with the Sharks:
Mako Surgical Corp – Start up to Exit – How a local technology company grew from an idea to $1.65B exit in 9 years
Keynote interview with Dr. Maurice R. Ferré (Mako Surgical Corp)
Hear Dr. Ferré speak about the main challenges, important lessons learned, and the keys for success of taking a company public.
Dr. Ferré will lead an exploration through the Mako Surgical Corp case study – how a local Miami-based entrepreneur raised money, took his robotics company public, and then sold it for $1.65 billion dollars.
- 6:30-7:00pm – Registration @ Networking
- 7:00-7:30pm – Keynote Interview moderated by Marco Giberti
- 7:30-8:00pm – Audience Q&A
- 8:00-8:30pm – Wrap-up & Networking
More about the Speakers
Maurice R Ferré MD
Co-Founder, Chairman, President and CEO, MAKO Surgical Corp. (2003-2013)
- Medical device company in Robotic-assisted Orthopedic surgery and implants
- Built company to 500 employees and $100M+ revenue
- Raised $350M in capital through private and public funding (IPO in 2008 on NASDQ: MAKO)
- Ranked No.1 on Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500 in 2011
- Company acquired by Stryker Corp. in 2013 for $1.65B
- World Economic Forum Technology Innovator 2003
- First company to develop and commercialize 3d printed implants
Founder, President and CEO, Visualization Technology, Inc. (1993-2002)
- Medical device company in image-guided surgery for ENT, cranial and orthopedic procedures
- Became leader in ENT image guided surgery which has now become “standard of care” in endoscopic sinus surgery
- Company acquired by GE Healthcare in 2002
Doctor of Medicine and Master of Public Health, Boston School of Medicine, Boston, MA
Mr. Giberti is a successful entrepreneur and angel investor with more than 20 years of intensive experience in marketing and communications with focus on the media, internet and events industry. After several years in a successful career as a corporate executive at Apple computers, Mr. Giberti decided to give free rein to his entrepreneurial spirit and became:
• Co-founder and Board Member of Mind Opener, a leading publishing group in Latin America that was later sold to British Pearson Media Group, and
• Co-founder and Board Member of e-mind, an internet and media communications company that was sold to Liberty Media.
• President, CEO and co-founder of Mind Trainer, a firm specialized in the organization of major regional trade-shows and events.
After a very successful growth, regional expansion and partnerships, including a long term relationship with E.J.Krause, Reed Elsevier bought a controlling position in the business in the year 2005, and Mr. Giberti became its president and regional partner for the events and trade show division in Latin America.Over the course of his business career, Mr. Giberti has been awarded a number of distinctions in his field, including, among others, Entrepreneur of the year Award and was named one of the top 100 most influential people on the global convention and exhibition business by the Trade Show Week magazine. Mr. Giberti is a Harvard Business School OPM Graduate, and member of YPO, the Young Presidents Organization.
Brainfood @ The LAB is a monthly, hands-on discussion with successful entrepreneurs, investors, and CEOs from around the world. These monthly gatherings will help local startups and entrepreneurs understand the opportunities and challenges of launching and growing a business. Every participant will leave with a wealth of new ideas and key, practical advice to advancing one’s own entrepreneurial career.
Presented in collaboration with